Friday, April 24, 2009

Hip Hop

When I hear the word hip-hop I think of really upbeat, fun, maybe a little provocative music. I think of Missy Elliot, Kanye West and really “popular hip-hop artists.” I also think of really “dirty” music as in cussing and saying things that have un underlying meeting. Five artists that I have never heard of and listened to are:
• Souls of Mischief
• Leaders of the New School
• Peanut Butter Wolf
• The Roots
• Common

I then decided since I have never heard of any of those bands I would watch some of there videos as well. I decided to watch all different videos from different years and different artists:
• Common-“Resurrection”-this was made in 1995 and talks about kids living in Chicago in the 70’s. One of my favorite lyrics from the song was:
o “Proceed to read and not believin everything I'm readin
But my brain was bleedin, needin feedin, and exercise
I didn't seek the best of buys, it's a lie to textualize
I analyze where I rest my eyes”
o The video was in all black and white and was very basic-something that you rarely see now a days.
• Organized Konfusion-“Stress”-this song was a part of many similar “emotions” that the artists explored such as frustration, confusion, anger, sorrow, ect. The album was all about these emotions and using each one very differently. The video stress was very rugged and in your face.
o Pain, stress, My brain, can`t even rest
It`s hard to maintain the pressure on my chest
o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFVp6ifTOw
• The Fugees-“Biddy Bye Bye”: This is a song that I have heard versions of but not from this hip hop artist. The video looked like it was being played under water and was very distorted. The beat was very simple, stayed constant and never altered like so many hip hop songs do today.
o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7roHwl2jA
• Mos Def-“Fear not of Man”-this is one of the first videos that had mentioned God and that was a light setting as opposed to a very dark hip hop video I had previously watched. This song was actually inspirational to me as well.
o And they not valuable because they got a whole lot of money
or cause somebody, think they sexy
but they valuable cause they been created by God
And God, makes you valuable
• A Tribe Called Quest-“Oh My God”-This song and video had a very jazzy feel to me. It also was like a guy was just saying inspirational lyrics instead of just wrapping. It was simple and un recycled.

Two Radio stations that I listened to were 104.5 in Dallas, Texas last weekend and 103.5 in Oklahoma City. It was weird just listening to hip hop straight not mixed with any other genre. I liked it to a certain degree but then the same words and phrases would be heard over and over again.

Hip Hop in the media is something you see and hear all the time on commercials and for different businesses. Pepsi just signed a contract campaign in which club and radio djs will promote Pepsi. The three-month summer campaign sounds really smart and is "expected to include New York's DJ Enuff and L.A.'s Eric Cubiche. They will serve as 'soda ambassadors,' touting the soda via on-air mentions, club events, photo shoots, block parties, Pepsi-sponsored mix tapes and cross-promotions with brands such as Launch and T-Mobile."

When my parents were younger they mostly listened to Rock such as Van Halen. They listen to hard music as opposed to hip hop hard music. It was more lyrical than it was just yelling into screens.

1 comment:

  1. I saw some of the new Pepsi stuff. Hmmm. VanHalen Rocks.

    ReplyDelete