Friday, February 13, 2009

Tim Wise

Tim Wise gave a speech on race in America and said the reason that he could give it was the word privilege. Privilege he described give was being able to give a speech on the inequalities of speech because he was a person who wasn’t prejudiced against. He could give the speech because he is a white adult male. He is not an African America or any other race and therefore could give an honest and unbiased speech on how people of a different race especially African Americans get looked down upon. He brought to life hard issues that no one wants to talk about. He was a very dynamic speaker as well as a determined one; he used jokes, sarcasm and harsh reality to get his point across.
When we split into groups we discussed in detail what we thought of Tim’s speech. We all had very conflicting opinions about his speech. I had to agree with some people in my group that his speech was a little one sided. He talked about the inequalities that African Americans are given and in a few words blamed it on people who are white. It was interesting to hear my group’s opinions as some felt very strongly about his speech. It is a very hard video, I think, to pick a side on because you automatically feel either offended or start to understand what he is trying to say. Tim used a lot of sarcasm in his speech that made it yes funny, but I thought it was almost like he was mocking something’s that people who are white do. Isn’t that being prejudice in itself?

Over the past few days I have kept a list of privileges that I have witnessed: (these came from me and the things that I witnessed or thought about in this past week)

• I was at the hair salon and asked her if she had a wide supply of product for African American hair, and she said only a few
• I also think about being taught in history class about all the white people that created our nation and how there is a separate section about black history.
• I looked up the number of African American organizations on campus compared to others and the number is very low.
• In my sorority there is only one African American girl and most sororities are like that
• When I was in our class last Monday, I realized when we were having the talk about race that I never think about my race ever and only when I’m asked on a survey or something do I think about it.
• I starting thinking about stereotypes of people and how white people really have no stereotypes against them
• When I want something in life I go at it with full force without thinking about if my race will effect me at all
• I was thinking about how make-up has gone a long way to fit all different ethnicities but how it hasn’t always been that way
Although these are small things, they really make you think about the idea of privilege and what it means for you. I know that I will never have to worry about anything regarding my race but that others might. Tim wise gave a good perspective on what some black people may be feeling but because they are black may not be the best people to give a speech like that. He was aware of his race and was aware that he fell under the category of privilege. That’s what made the speech work and really get the point across.
At the end of the video, Tim Wise talks about that as adults we should take this information and change our behavior. But what me and my group agreed on was that since we were little, we have been taught that everyone is different but we should treat them like we would want to be treated. I never look at race as an issue in who I talk to and therefore think that I am making a difference already in the lives of people. Acceptance is one of the best assets you can attain as a person.

http://jimbuie.blogs.com/journal/2007/11/50-examples-of-.html

http://www.unh.edu/residential-life/diversity/aw_article17.pdf

1 comment:

  1. When he began his presentation what did he discuss his first five minutes? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete